In February 2012, Mr Chu Nap Kee and Ms Truong My Lan of Van Thinh Phat Group Holdings generously donated a sum to The University of Hong Kong for the establishment of the “Vietnam Van Thinh Phat Scholarships” to attract outstanding talents from Vietnam to study undergraduate programmes at the University.
Following the success of the third scholarship award from Vietnam Van Thinh Phat Scholarships for the academic year 2015-16, Van Thinh Phat Group Holdings continues to offer two full scholarships for Vietnamese students starting their degree studies in September 2016 at The University of Hong Kong (HKU), the 30th best University in the world (according to Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings 2015/16) and 3rd best university in the world for international outlook (THE WUR, 2016).
The scholarships have a value of HK$200,000 per year for each award, and are renewable annually throughout the course of study subject to a satisfactory academic performance at HKU being maintained, i.e. GPA of 3.0 or above.
The Scholarships are available to successful applicants aiming to study any of the following majors:
1. Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting and Finance;
2. Any undergraduate programme offered by the Faculty of Architecture; and
3. Any undergraduate programme offered by the Faculty of Engineering.
This full scholarship covers all necessary expenses (*) related to education and living of scholars throughout their study in HKU including application fee, Visa fee, tuition fee, airfares, accommodation and personal living expenses.
The Vietnam Van Thinh Phat Scholarships are aimed at 1st-year students currently studying at any public universities or 12th-graders at any high schools in Vietnam, giving priority to the underprivileged, with the following requirements:
- An average of 8 marks over 10 of all 3 subjects in the past Entrance Examination (for freshman students); or
- An average of 8 marks over 10 of all subjects in Grade 10, 11 and first semester of Grade 12 (for 12th-graders at public high schools); or
- An achievement score of 39 or above under International Baccalaureate (IB) assessment system (for 12th-graders at international high schools); and
- A minimum overall band of 6.5 with no subtest lower than 5.5 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); or a score of 583 or above (paper-based test) or 93 or above (internet-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
1. Applications can be submitted from December 7, 2015 to January 25, 2016 The application should include:
- Personal Statement letter;
- Reference letters (containing, where possible, your school’s prediction of the results of examinations still to be taken, if any);
- Copies of Academic documentations: confirmation of the current university, if applicable, results of the past entrance examination, academic report of Year 10 – 12 (first semester of grade 12), and valid test report form in English competence
- Copies of Personal documentations: ID or Passport, Household registry, Temporary residence record
2. Interview: Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by the Scholarship Selection Committee, including professors from HKU, who will liaise with the relevant faculties of HKU to select the successful applicants.
Only successful candidates shall be informed and invited to a meeting with the top management of Van Thinh Phat Group Holdings and are required to sign a Bonding Agreement as a commitment to have a working position at the Company or associates upon graduation.
(*) Note: The full scholarship does not cover certain costs of application such as costs of document dispatch, costs of notarizing documents (if any), other miscellaneous costs and costs incurred going beyond the scholarship amount. It is the responsibility of the student to cover these additional costs.
All applications shall be sent to the following address:
Attention: Mr. Nguyen Thanh Binh – Hoa Thuan Phat Corporation
181 – 183 – 185 Tran Hung Dao Street, Co Giang Ward
District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
For enquiries, please contact the Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.